Row along the Yoneshiro River and enjoy the landscape of Shirakami Sanchi from the water.
Canoe Tour in the Shirakami Area
A 5-km course, participants can enjoy rowing along the calm waters of the Yoneshiro River in locally handcrafted canoes. This excursion is a great opportunity to see Shirakami Sanchi’s wildlife up close – from jumping fish to kites hunting for prey. In addition, participants can relax with beautiful views of the Shirakami mountains and forests all around.
Halfway through the course, take a break and enjoy “suikawari,” a popular Japanese summer game. For suikawari, participants try and smash a watermelon open while wearing a blindfold (yes, you can eat the watermelon afterwards!). If watermelons are unavailable, relax to a bonfire as you sip on coffee and grill marshmallows before starting back up on your journey.
Canoe guides accompany all tours, and begin the activity with instructions and demonstrations in both Japanese and simple English. Life jackets and waterproof sandals are also available.
Please book through this Voyagin link:
- Activity name
- Canoe Tour in the Shirakami Area
- 8,800 JPY
- Date / Time
- Morning course: 10:00 ~ 11:30
Afternoon course: 13:30 ~ 15:00
- Activity length
- 90 minutes
- Operation period
- May ~ October
- Participant Capacity
- Up to 20 partcipants
- Minimum Participants Required
- Minimum 2 participants
- Meeting Place
- Futatsui Town Tourism Association Canoe School
- Futatsui Town Tourism Association Canoe School or
- Notes / Other
- - Only guests ages 10 and above can participate.
- Photos will be taken and shared with participants as part of this experience.
- Please bring sunscreen, and extra clothing in case you get wet.
Business / Company / Operator Details
- Futatsui Town Tourism Association
- Business hours
- Monday through Sunday, 8:30 ~ 17:00